Wednesday, March 4, 2009

distractions!

the last few days have been filled with family and friends. we've been blessed to have my sister, Tina come stay with us. Reid's brother, Chad along with his wife Julie and their precious daughter, Lily are also here from Colorado. Reid's parents flew back to Illinois on Sunday night, the earliest flight they could get out of Phoenix. Luckily, Becky and Mary B. drove down to St. Louis to pick them up and bring them home around 12:30 AM on Monday morning.

we've been overwhelmed with the amount of support we've received over the last couple of months. believe me when i say that the things that seem small to others are huge to us. from my boss giving me the time i needed when i was in pain right before i had Raef, to the last glass of wine that Wendy poured for me tonight at her home are most helpful to us. we are truly blessed.

tonight, Wendy held a dinner at her home and invited anyone and everyone to come join us in a small celebration of Raef's life, and the impact that he's had on countless people around us (near and far).

having my parents (both sets) in town along with Tina has helped me immensely. it makes my house feel more like a home to have my family in it with me. Kris and Jon have been here to sit and stare at the floor with us when we have nothing to say. for that, we are forever grateful and know that we have some pretty amazing friends.

it means so much to me that people who never got to meet Raef in person loved him. that he touched so many lives makes me rejoice in his very short time with us on earth.

i'm sure that right now, i'm sort of numb to the emotions related to grieving the loss of my first child. or maybe this is the grieving process. i'm either numb or i'm in denial. i'm distracted. when everyone has to leave us to return to their normal lives, we'll probably break down and need someone to pick us up again. i know that we won't be alone, but i fear the days that lie ahead.

Raef's service is tomorrow. it'll be led by our dear friends, Dean & Andrea. i know that it will be beautiful and it'll help us all to rejoice in our Lord; to remember that He has not forsaken us, that He is still with us.

3 comments:

  1. Hi Kara,

    I'm so glad Tina made it to be with you. I continue to think of you often and am keeping you in my prayers.

    -Jill

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Kara and Reid,
    What an amazing, beautiful tribute, to such a sweet little boy. The personal touches really made the service special. He will be with you always. I too, miss him. Saying that I "enjoyed" my time in the NICU is odd, but none the less true. You wont be alone, even after most of the family and friends go, as I know they'll keep in touch. I am going to look after you guys too! Keep counting your blessings! Wendy

    ReplyDelete
  3. You write absolutely beautifully... please know that many, many prayers are coming via CO. Our friends out here are mourning sweet Raef's loss with you. At my Bible Study this morning, one of the ladies said she read your blog and was amazed at your strength. She cried telling me how she had been praying for your family. Know that you are loved and yes, even blessed.

    ReplyDelete